1. Local Device Storage: My photos aren’t mapped
2. Cloud: I don’t understand the Google Photos procedure
3. My purchase isn’t showing up on a different device
4. I bought the pro version and it worked, but the limit came back
5. Local Device Storage: Limit photos to scan only a certain folder
6. HTML Export
7. Cloud: Google Photos: I don’t have enabled Location History
8. Change multiple photos at the same time
9. My countries are all “Unknown”
1. Local device storage: My photos aren’t mapped. Why, and what can I do?
In that case your photos will be displayed in the lower left corner button, because they are not tagged with GPS information. Technically that means that the exif data in the jpeg files doesn’t contain the longitude and latitude tags. Please check the menu “Check location issues” to find out more and to get more details about the reason.
It might happen that your Google Photos App does show a location for them. In that case, Google “estimated” the location by using your Location History (they are logging your location every time). Unfortunately, Photo Map can’t use that information when connected to your Local device storage. You can follow these instructions to tag your local files, or switch the data provider to Google Photos (Not use your local device storage anymore). Read more here.
2. Cloud: I don’t understand the Google Photos procedure… Why is all that needed?
The Google Photos ™ API doesn’t provide the GPS information in their API, so we need to use another way to map them. Using the location history is one solution, because we know where your smartphone was located in the past. Attaching the file is only needed one times, because all new photos will be mapped automatically by reading your locally stored photos. Read more here.
3. My purchase isn’t showing up on a different device. How to fix that?
That’s quite tricky. Firstly: Your in app purchases are linked to your account, so don’t worry, they are available for all your different devices where you are logged in.
After you ordered an in app purchase, it can take some time until they are available on other devices. I managed it to get my in app purchases on another device by following these steps:
- Restart your device
- Clear the app data of the app “Google Play Services”
- Wait some minutes
- Start the app and check out if your purchases are showing up
- Repeat step 3 and 4 if needed
If that still doesn’t work, you can use the following adb command to clear the cache: “adb shell pm clear com.android.vending“
Restart your App twice after executing that command.
4. I bought the pro version and it worked, but the limit of 500 photos came back after a restart. What to do?
I had a client wo had that issue. He updated the Google Play Services and it worked immediately after that. You can search in the Google Play Store for Play-Services-Update-Apps, like this one as example.
5. Local Device Storage: How can I limit the photos to scan only a certain folder?
Please use the drawer menu on the left side to configure your “hidden folders”.
6. What about the HTML Export?
You can easily export your Map as a single HTML File, so it can be opened on any PC.
There are still some limitations:
– Due to a possible high amount of markers on the map, the file might be to big to be displayed on a mobile device. Please open it on a PC or Mac in that case
– For the cloud providers, only cached Photos will be rendered correctly
7. Cloud: I understand the Google Photos procedure, but I dont have enabled Location History in the past. Is there another solution?
Please contact me if you really want a hacky solution 🙂
8. How can I change multiple photos at the same time?
Please do a long press on a photo in the grid view to start the multi selection mode, then selct your photos and use the menu to do the desired change.
9. My countries are all “Unknown”, how to fix that?
If your Google Play Services are up to date, you can reload the geo information. Please use the main menu, hit “Background procs and cache”, clear the geo details cache and hit “Start” to reload the information.